Move over meat, there’s a new meat-free burger coming to the grill. Lazy summer days are ahead of us and that means sunshine and barbecues. Finally, veggie lovers can rejoice because I have a homemade walnut burger recipe that is not only amazing, but it holds its own on the grill.
Unfortunately, the vegetarians are often an afterthought at a barbecue. We survive on side dishes and salads. Many well-meaning hosts grill a few soy-based burgers that we politely smother in ketchup. It’s not their fault. When you are not used to feeding vegans and vegetarians, it can seem pretty intimidating. I’ve learned to come prepared with a dish to pass that can sub as a meal if necessary and most of the time I try to BYOB (bring my own burger). That is why I am so excited about this walnut burger! It is the answer to every barbecue quandary.
5 Reasons Why You Will Love This Walnut Burger
- It’s delicious – Of course, that is the number one reason why this burger is amazing!
- It has simple ingredients – This walnut burger can be made soy-free, dairy-free & gluten-free.
- It’s packed with protein – This burger has over 9 grams of protein.
- Grillable – Grill it or bake it, either way, it’s delicious!
- Freezer-friendly – Make them and freeze them so you are ready for last-minute summer barbecue invitations.
You’re probably wondering how these can be delicious if they are made from walnuts and are free of dairy, gluten and soy, but believe me they are! My kids seriously love these burgers. In fact, my picky six-year-old, that hates walnuts, ate the whole thing. This is pretty amazing considering she usually doesn’t finish anything unless it is smothered in chocolate!
5 Reasons You Might Not Consider Making Walnut Burgers
- Walnuts are expensive – while this is true, this recipe makes 12 burgers. That’s 3 meals for a family of 4. Buy walnuts in bulk at Costco or Sam’s Club and put them in the freezer. It’s cost-effective and lengthens the shelf life of your walnuts.
- Walnuts have a lot of fat – walnuts have healthy fats and a ton of other health benefits.
- You have to use a food processor to make them – I can understand if this is the reason you can’t make these walnut burgers. But if you don’t have a food processor, you should really consider moving it up on your list of next things to splurge. Food processors can do so much and really help cut down on prep time when you’re cooking. Check out my Favorite Kitchen Gadgets post to find out which food processor is my favorite.
- You don’t have the time – although it takes a little time to make these, the fact that you can throw them in the freezer saves you time in the future.
- It’s not meat – You don’t have to be vegan to like these. Following a plant-based diet has a ton of health and environmental benefits. If you are wondering if going plant-based is something you can do, head over to Plant-based Cooking For Beginners to learn the basics.
Tips for Cooking the Perfect Walnut Burger
After you bake the burgers you can eat them right away. You can also freeze them. Make sure to let the pan cool and then place the pan in the freezer. Freezing them in single layer ensures you do not end up with a frozen block of walnut burgers. After they are frozen, put them in a freezer bag.
When you are ready to eat the frozen walnut burgers, simple reheat for 20 minutes at 350 degree. I prefer to throw them on the grill. Do not thaw them. Place the frozen burger directly on the grill for 5 minutes on each side.
Top with your favorite burger accouterments and dig in! It will be your go-to summer recipe!